Friday 28 May 2010

Chicharito speaks

Some translated quotes from Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez from a recent interview he did with Rumbo magazine in the United States. In it, the 21-year-old gives his opinions on coming to terms with fame, Mexico in the World Cup and almost hanging up his boots.

Full interview, in Spanish, here: http://bit.ly/aTdxIm

“The truth is that four years ago I couldn’t imagine myself being in this position and I was at the point of retiring because I wasn’t getting the opportunity to play regularly with Chivas.”

“Since I was nine I worked to get into the Premier Division (Mexico) but when I finally arrived in the first team I was on the bench a lot. I felt that I deserved the opportunity because I was working hard in the training sessions and I was so restless that I told my dad I didn’t want to play anymore.”

Fortunately for him, Chivas, the Mexican national team and hopefully Manchester United in the future, Chicharito’s dad, Javier “Chicharo” Hernandez, persuaded him to keep going.

Continues Chicharito, changing topic: “I think I always play with the mentality that I wouldn’t get another chance if I didn’t make the most of the moment. I did the same when I got called up for Mexico and I’ll do the same when I arrive at Manchester United. I will play with everything I have so Mexico’s name is held in high regard.”

On his recent fame: “I’ve learned to manage the pressure thanks to the advice of my granddad and my father, who tell me to take things one step at a time. I’m not going to put pressure on myself, I’ll simply keep doing the things that have got me to this point: dedication and hard work. Everything else will look after itself.”

On Mexico in the World Cup: “I believe that the most important thing is the game against South Africa. After that, whatever comes, comes. We can’t think in terms of maybes. We have to play the games (in front of us) and if we listen to the coach, apply ourselves and keep out concentration, I think we can go far.”

No comments:

Post a Comment